It took a while for Dashing John (DJ) to finally find the big break he's been praying for since he began appearing in a drama series with other pretty-looking hopefuls. Unfortunately, his career quickly went nowhere because he was with a particularly prodigious bunch whose members possessed natural acting chops to go with their good looks.
DJ quickly jumped ship to seek greener pastures in another network that didn't have the know-how to build up talents, even promising ones. But no worries: DJ's "friendship" with Hunky Businessman (HB) proved convenient for him in times of need.
When he finally hit the jackpot, the buzz surrounding DJ's special bond with HB slowly died down as he began to get acknowledged for his acting skills.
But with the world of show biz turned upside down by the pandemic, so is celebrities' ability to earn a living. Has he saved enough for a rainy day, or will DJ "call a friend" when he needs help? Perhaps HB would still be willing to give DJ a helping hand when the need arises.
As they say, desperate times call for desperate measures.
TOP OF THE TABLOIDS
This week's top show biz news from the tabloids (and why we are moved, if we are moved):
* Nadine Lustre, Alden Richards open to star in a movie together. (Will sparks fly?)
* Nadine umaming napraning noong ECQ! (Didn't we all?)
* Kris Aquino ginulat ang mga empleyado ng TV5; bagong talk show tuluy na tuloy na! (Ugh.)
* Ruru Madrid sa nang-okray sa katawan ni Bianca Umali: Ano'ng problema mo? Bastos! (Her angry knight in shining armor.)
* Angel Locsin congratulates Jose Calida for being 2nd highest-paid gov't official. (So he has to earn his keep.)
* Jennylyn Mercado hindi takot sa death threats; Dennis Trillo nananahimik... (Too silent. Cue cricket sounds here...)
* Alessandra de Rossi ginanahan sa paggawa ng pelikula. (TF is another great reason for "gana.")
* Mamasapano movie gagawin sa gitna ng pandemya. (We can't all just stay home and do nothing, after all...)
* Diego Loyzaga visible again, bonds with half-sisters... (Good kuya...)
* Ken Chan admits feelings for Rita Daniela. (RitKen fans will be thrilled...)
* Kiray Celis says "walang ligaw" in her whirlwind romance; took just days to get into the relationship. (That's par for the course in modern romance.)
* LizQuen (Liza Soberano at Enrique Gil) walang planong lumundag sa ibang channel. (Walang lundag. How about gapang...?)
* Erich Gonzales single na ulit; buy and sell ang pinagkakaabalahan. (In the lockdown era, that's called improvising...)
* Maja Salvador at dyowa nito, live-in na rin?! (It's cheaper to split expenses.)
* DDS noon, kritiko na ngayon: Jason Abalos binira si Duterte sa gasoline disinfectant "joke." (Better late than never...)
* Aljur Abrenica walang planong kumatok muli sa GMA. (Nobody said GMA wanted him back...?)
* Vice Ganda Network nag-crash agad, 'di natuloy ang launching! (If at first you don't succeed...)
* MMFF entry ni Vice nilait agad. (After the humorless and unfunny "The Mall, The Merrier," can you blame them?)
* Lee Seung-gi hindi daw nagparetoke! (That's what many of them say...)
* Catriona Gray kakasuhan din si Clint Bondad. (From hero to heel...)
* Sofia Andres humingi ng tawad sa pagrerebelde... (Nothing wrong with that.)
* Maxine Medina nagbebenta ng karne; WinWyn Marquez abala sa pagpapandesal ngayong may pandemya. (Business-minded beauties...)
* Donita Rose susubok ulit ng career sa Amerika! (Good luck!)
* Rommel Padilla sumabak na sa pagsasaka. (We all need farmers in these trying times.)